Baratza has been in the coffee grinding game for ages, specializing in creating the best coffee grinders in the industry. In fact, the only products they make are grinders, so they have truly become the best of the best.
The Sette 270 uses a revolutionary grinding technology developed in Liechtenstein (more on that below). With many groundbreaking features, this grinder creates the perfect grind every time, whether you want the finest espresso, or the coarsest manual brew.
Features and Functionality
- Width: 5.25 inches
- Depth: 9.5 inches
- Height: 15.75 inches
- Weight: 9 lbs
- Dosing options: Timer – up to 60 seconds
- Burr diameter: 40mm
- Grinder style: Burr – Conical Steel
- Exceptional espresso grinder
- Grinds up to 5g/second
Programmable Times Grinding & Dosing
This is where the 270 comes from in the name, Baratza Sette 270. The appliance has thirty macro settings to choose from and 9 micro settings, so you literally have 270 grind different settings to choose from for your coffee beans. These settings are clearly marked on the grinder, so choosing your combinations is hassle-free, letting you experience different tastes and blends at the turn of a switch.
Even better, there are three programmable buttons to which you can program three different time settings for grinding your coffee.
40mm Connical Steel Burrs
Made from high quality durable steel, the 40mm burrs provide the best grinding consistency across all settings. These burrs will last for years, even after daily use, without needing to be replaced. This grinder also uses a new gear rotation design, where the outer burr rotates instead of the inner cone-shaped burr. This means much more efficient grinding and super easy disassembly.
Convertible Device Holder
The holder arms, which are curved and coated with rubber, are adjustable to fit any container, and strong enough to hold the container as it fills with coffee grounds. There’s also a portafilter hook that will easily fit any size portafilter for any espresso machine.
High Torque Motor
The high torque DC motor used in this machine is extremely powerful and will handle any grinding job with ease. It’s equipped with a thermal cutoff switch that will automatically reset if the appliance gets too hot. This helps to protect the grinder from overheating, which would leave you without a grinder.
A problem with most grinders is the amount of coffee grounds left in the burrs which can go stale and contaminate future grinds. That isn’t an issue with this machine. Every bit of the beans that are ground go down into your chosen container, with very little to no grounds left inside the machine.
Easy Hopper Removal
Just as the burrs can be removed without tools, so can the hopper. It has a lever in the back and all you need to do is pull that to rotate the hopper counter-clockwise and it pops right off.
Baratza Sette Design
The design of the Baratza Sette 270 is very unique. Sette is Italian for the number 7, which you’ll notice is the shape that the grinder takes. It features a narrow, vertical design, so it won’t take up a lot of counter space, giving you extra room for other brewing accessories.
The unique rotation system we mentioned, where the outer burr ring rotates around the stationary cone burr, was designed in Liechtenstein. It took them over eight years to develop and fine tune this mechanism, which provides simple and efficient grinding, and is extremely durable.
This system also eliminates the “pathway” normally found in coffee grinders, allowing the grounds to fall straight into your container from the burrs. This means you get every single bit of coffee that you grind, with virtually nothing left behind.
Baratza takes their design to the next step by making their grinders so that you never have to replace it. All you need to do is take care of the machine properly, using maintenance, cleaning, and repair tips directly from Baratza.
Baratza Sette 270 Pros/Cons
Like anything else in this world, this grinder is not perfect.
- No tools needed. When it’s time to clean your grinder, removing the hopper and inner burr requires absolutely no tools, making this task easy and hassle-free. Just brush out any grounds left in the outer ring, brush out the inner burr, and then snap back everything back into place.
- Slim design: This grinder will fit easily in any kitchen and on any countertop. It’s only about five inches across, so you can squeeze it between other devices with ease.
- Speedy: Once you have your grind settings in place, grinding the amount of coffee you need literally only takes seconds. For reference, an 18gram dose of coffee will be done in 4.5-5 seconds.
- Excellent customer service: Between troubleshooting guides so you can fix any problems yourself, to an easy to use 1 year warranty on manufacturer defects, contacting Baratza customer service is a breeze.
- It is very loud. Unfortunately, what you get in speed and efficiency you lose in sound. This grinder is very loud, one of the loudest on the market.
- The price for the Sette 270 clocks in at just under $300, which can be a bit out of budget for most people. Still, it is also considered cheap among experienced home baristas, when compared to other coffee grinders.
Last Words of Wisdom
The Baratza Sette 270 offers a lot to consumers who fancy themselves the best home baristas in the world. It provides a unique design that won’t take up a lot of space in the kitchen, has almost zero retention, and grinds your coffee at blinding speeds.
No more do you have grounds leftover in the machine that will grow stale and make future batches taste stale, leaving you faced with the difficult task of disassembly and cleaning. The Sette not only leaves very little behind, but you don’t need any tools to take it apart.
Our verdict then, based on the evidence presented, is this is a highly efficient grinder for any coffee brewing aficionado. Beginners may balk at the price point, but it is actually very affordable when compared to similar grinders.
Anthony is a professional barista in the city of Chicago. He has written for many online publications on various topics related to coffee.