Nespresso Vertuo Review
The Nespresso Vertuo is by far one of the most effective single-serve espresso machines on the market. For a capsule-operated machine, it makes a surprisingly good shot of espresso. It is priced reasonably, it is sturdy, and it does not require much maintenance. The only downfall is that the capsules add an additional expense to the brewing experience.
- Super-fast heating
- Brews a variety of drinks
- Provides good crema
- One-touch operation
- Only compatible with Nespresso pods
- No milk frother
- Cannot heat water for other drinks (tea)
How do you ensure your next espresso will take as little effort as possible? You trust an intelligent machine that will do some of the thinking for you.
The Nespresso VertuoLine uses barcode-driven technology to distinguish between different blends and then its brewing adjusts accordingly. This effortless process becomes part of your coffee breaks when you invest in one of these single espresso makers.
Is this what you need?
With some of the latest in espresso making technology, you can look forward to rich drinks, full of flavor and topped with the perfect crema. How? This is thanks to Nespresso’s Centrifusion technology.
Match this with the fast heating and brewing time and you may have found the espresso maker you’ve been dreaming of.
See, taste isn’t just about the brew. It’s about texture, crema and temperature.
You’ll enjoy the best in all these departments after brewing your next expresso in a Nespresso VertuoLine machine.
All the taste and aroma caught in a Nespresso capsule are extracted thanks to Centrifusion technology. The spinning action ensures all the content gets wet and all the flavors are extracted. The movement also adds to the amount of crema you’ll find on top. And thanks to a dynamic heating system your cup will be at an optimum temperature.
Because of Nespresso’s years of experience in the market, they know what you’re looking for. The drinks you make from now on may even rival your local coffee house’s products (but not really).
You’ll even love the machine for how it looks. I am by no means an interior designer, but looking at this modern-style unit, I think it will easily fit in with almost any décor.
The exterior is mostly black with transparent removable parts. Note that most parts are made of plastic, but it still looks neat. It’s not as aesthetically sophisticated as some semi-automatic stainless steel espresso makers though. It is also not as expensive.
- Dimensions:3”(W) x 11.93” (D) x 11.91”(H)
- Cup clearance: Alto, Coffee or Espresso cups
- Water capacity: 40oz
- Disposal capacity: Can take up to 14 pods
- Default measurements:
- Espresso: 1.35oz
- Coffee: 7.77oz
The important removable features—water jug and pod disposal unit—are located on the sides but at the front of the machine, so you can reach them easily.
Which of these features have you been looking for in a single serve espresso maker?
- Accommodate different cups and drinks: What are you in the mood for today? You can pick one of three capsule types (14ox, 8ox and 1.35oz) and the machine can accommodate different cup sizes:
- One touch brewing: There are no complicated procedures because you simply have to press a button once to initiate brewing.
- Fast heating: It’s possible to brew a cup in time, even if you’re almost late for that meeting. It will only take 15-20 seconds to heat up.
- Centrifusion technology: At 7000rpm, you get optimum flavor from each capsule and the movement boosts crème formation.
- Intelligent scanning system: Why tell the machine what to do if it can figure it out by itself? Via barcodes on capsules, the Vertuoline identifies which blend you picked. Now it will automatically adjust brewing to accommodate your selection, so the final result is the best it can be.
- Energy efficient: You’ll never waste energy since the machine automatically shuts down after nine minutes. This is only a problem if you use this in a busy office where someone may soon enter looking for a brew. Luckily the machine pre-heats very quickly.
You can see it’s a machine only appropriate for Nespresso Vertuoline capsules:
- There is no grinder
- You can’t add ground coffee
- Other capsules won’t fit
Note: This machine doesn’t use a pump feature as it is unnecessary, thanks to the Centrifusion rapid spinning movements.
Nespresso manufactures dynamic milk frothing appliances such as the Aeroccino Plus. It can make hot or cold froth in under a minute. You’ll need this for delicious cappuccinos and coffees. Purchase it separately or keep an eye out for offers where you can buy both units at a special price.
Ease of Use
Your next cup will be made with minimal effort on your side. Here’s all you do:
- Water is placed in the easy-to-reach container on the side.
- Position the height-adjustable cup support according to your desired drink’s beaker (espresso/coffee/alto).
- Switch the machine on.
- Open the extraction head and place a capsule inside (Flat surface upwards).
- Close the head and lock it in place by turning the knob.
- Press the brew button.
Because the machine reads the barcode and adjusts brewing accordingly, there’s nothing else for you to do but enjoy your drink.
It’s so simple, anyone can become an instant barista.
Cleaning is one area where the Nespresso VertuoLine gets more interesting. With one button at your disposal you’ll tell the machine which cleaning process you need to run:
- Descaling: Hold down the button for about seven seconds
- Cleaning cycles: Press the button three times in short succession
Can you remember that? Luckily you’ll have a booklet to guide you.
You’ll know when it’s time to do some maintenance, thanks to the descaling alert. It’s essential you follow these directions. Cleaning influences the functioning of the machine and the taste of your brew.
Other components are easy to clean. The water and pod disposal units can detach from where they’re located at the front of the machine. Simply note these plastic units have some embellishments that can make cleaning more challenging.
The exterior of the machine can simply be wiped down. The plastic surfaces won’t easily get scratched, so you can use any cleaning tools. Simply guard against using cleaning products that may discolor plastic.
Nespresso definitely takes espresso making to another level by allowing barcodes to dictate how your next cup should taste. And if an espresso is the ultimate way you reward yourself at the end—or start—of the day, this machine with its effortless brewing features will complement your kitchen. Because Nespresso is known for its exceptional espresso products, you know every cup will taste exceptional.
However, if you’re fussy about how a machine looks, you may prefer one of the VertuoLine competitors such as the Starbucks Verismo 580 with metal exterior surfaces.
Other models may also offer larger water tanks, but this makes the entire structure bulkier. The Nespresso VertuoLine is a compact option that can easily slide in between other appliances. Is this the machine that will serve you during your next coffee break?