Zojirushi EC-YGC120 Review
The Zojirushi EC-YGC12 coffee maker is a versatile unit that offers you a choice of hot and cold brews. It is BPA free, it has a programmable timer, brews up to 12 cups and keeps brewing temperature at a consistent 200 °F. If you are willing to pay over $100 for a coffee machine, this could very well be the right fit for you.
- Consistent brewing at 200 °F
- Iced coffee capability
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Drip prevention mechanism
- 4 warming plate settings
- Fragile basket valve
- Poor construction/design
Do you love variety? This is perhaps the number one reason why the Zojirushi EC-YGC120 jumped to the top of my priority list when I first read about it. I love my scalding cup of coffee in the morning, but will never say no to an iced version on a hot afternoon.
Now, I can make both drinks with one machine. I simply add ice to the carafe. Pretty neat, right? But, let me dive a bit deeper into this Zojirushi coffee maker to help you determine if it’s worth your money.
I appreciate this drip coffee maker for its user-friendliness. It contains the basic features you need for a good cup of coffee, with no complicated extras.
As you probably already know, brewing temperature is essential to coffee taste. This machine is capable of maintaining a steady 200 degrees Fahrenheit temperature during the entire brewing process. When you combine this process with a high-quality coffee ground, you will inevitably get a delicious cup of Joe.
If you are willing to take the process of making coffee one step further, you should only use freshly-ground premium beans and filtered water. Adding these two components will make a noticeable difference in how the coffee tastes.
The Zojirushi EC-YGC120 coffee machine is a mixture of black plastic, glass, and stainless steel surfaces. This is not a sleek and modern-style coffee brewer. There are far better looking machines if you are on the market for something that will stand out in your kitchen.
Looking from the front you’ll see the control panel is easily accessible on the bottom left, though some users may prefer buttons to be higher up. On top of the control panel is the water tank, which is easily removed. I don’t like having to unplug or move around a machine in order to get to key parts and compartments. So, an easily accessible and removable water tank is always a plus for me.
- Dimensions:12”(W) x 8” (D) x 14.88”(H)
- Weight: 10lb
- Electrical information: 120V/120W
- Water capacity:8L
- Drink capacity: Max 12 cups of hot coffee/6 cups iced coffee
- Brewing Temperature: 200°F
Plastic will never be as durable as an all-stainless-steel unit. A glass carafe can break if you accidentally hit it against something. So yes, you have to take proper care and be cautious with this model.
Note that you can’t wash all parts of the coffee brewer in the dishwasher, so taking care of it does require some manual labor.
While the coffee brewer won’t take very long to fill up the carafe, you don’t have to wait until it’s finished. Thanks to the non-drip features, you can remove the glass jug to pour your first cup and then replace it to finish the process.
Whatever your preference today, you can get your hot or cold mug of coffee, and these features will optimize each drink:
- Easy pouring: The decanter’s spout is designed to minimize that dripping we all dread.
- Safe for your health: The manufacturer ensures the coffee maker won’t cause health problems, as all surfaces that come in contact with fluids are BPA free.
- Hot and cold drinks: If you love coffee in all its forms, this is what you need. Switch off the ‘Keep warm’ feature. Now place ice in the jug to turn your coffee into a cold drink for hot days.
- Automatic shut-off: You’ll save energy with this in your kitchen. If you forget to turn it off, the machine will do it for you.
- Different warming settings: Not everyone drinks their coffee at the same temperature. Find your optimum warming plate setting between:
- Accessories: You get all you need to brew your first cup, as the unit includes:
- Measuring spoon
- Paper filters
- Clear measurements: The ice will melt when the brewed coffee is poured over it. The water jug’s clear markings tell you how much to add to make chilled coffee that won’t taste watered down.
- Drip prevention valve: No more coffee hissing as it hits the hot plate below. The filter basket’s valve prevents water dripping down when you remove the jug.
- Timer: You can plan ahead and activate the timer so your coffee is ready when you need it.
It’s a basic brewing system, but with many small features that optimize coffee making.
Ease of Use
This is probably the coffee brewing system’s best characteristic. Almost anyone will quickly get the hang of this machine, thanks to its easy-to-use features:
- Unlike many markings on plastic or glass—when comparing with other models—this unit has clearly printed ones.
- All components are easily accessed.
- Zojirushi provides a user-friendly manual.
- Controls are intuitive, so you won’t take long to figure out how the five buttons help you make perfect cups of coffee.
And here’s all you need to do each time:
- Place a filter and coffee in the swing basket
- Add water to the jug
- Switch on the machine
Want some iced coffee? The only thing that changes is the amount of water you add and the basket with ice that is placed inside the carafe.
Now simply wait for your refreshing drink.
I love the EC-YGC120 because it provides customizable options. Some people may love the beeping sounds most appliances make, but I prefer silence in the kitchen. On this model, you can opt to shut off alert sounds.
You don’t have to guess when it’s time to clean your machine. This model will tell you. The ‘Clean Indicator’ alert will go on. Don’t ignore it, because your coffee will taste differently until you clean it properly.
When it’s time, the process is relatively easy, as the parts can easily swing out or be removed:
- The water tank can be taken out to rinse
- The swing basket swings out
- The filter basket can be lifted out
This is a somewhat fancy coffee maker. Especially, if you consider the price tag on it. Is it one you should consider? Maybe, if you have $150 or more to spend on a machine of this caliber. It takes the guesswork out of preparing a delicious cup of coffee and opens up possibilities for enjoying coffee in different ways.
Anthony is a professional barista in the city of Chicago. He has written for many online publications on various topics related to coffee.